Friday 11 April 2014

Student T Tests

Kirstenbosch gardens have some lovely spots for
thinking about nothing other than the sounds of
the birds and insects 
I have some amazing and generous people in my life and have recently been spoilt with extravagant gifts for my birthday and am frequently spoilt with delicious dinners. One of the most frustrating things about being a (poor) PhD student is that I can't return the gesture.


When I am in Cape Town, many of my friends are in similar situations as I am. This means that they understand the erratic hours, the lack of finances and the occasional existential crisis. They send me job adverts, and I return the favour. They understand the power of a well-timed chocolate or glass of wine (or dinner invitation).






We do PhD's (in biology) because we believe ourselves to be passionate about the environment, sustainability, knowledge and the constant desire to gain a little more understanding of the world - and - because we weren't sure that we could get a job in biology without one. We are (mostly) stumped by the idea of tax returns and marvel at the prospect of owning property (although it does happen) or having a pension plan (not that that doesn't keep us up at night).






This is why it is important not to compare myself to my school friends or normal, non-PhD people. Those people that did the normal ~4 years of tertiary education and then did this crazy thing... they found a job. They got married, some have children, many own houses... For the sake of my already diminished self esteem, and so I can stay friends with these awesome people, it is important not to make comparisons. Ever... I am not even going to think about it... really







stolen from here
Because, even if a PhD meant increased earning potential, (which it doesn't) they have been working for 10 ish years longer than me, so I will never catch up. But, crucially and honestly, I wouldn't change it for the world, because last week Sunday, I fell in love with a cuttlefish swimming past my foot (admittedly I mistook it for seaweed at first, but seaweed just doesn't swim) - I was just bowled over by it's beauty. Because I work with some of the most amazing, inspiring and fun people. Because I have done crazy, amazing things. Because I can adjust my schedule if my friends need a hand on a random Thursday morning. Because even if I don't "save the whales" I have contributed to knowledge in the world and that is something worthy (even if the contribution is a tiny pimple in the world of knowledge). And even when life gets bogged down in front of the PC away from even the smell of the ocean, every life has golden glitter moments, so the key to happiness is to embrace the moment that you are in and just enjoy it.



https://acsundergrad.wordpress.com/page/3/



PS The post title is a rather weak attempt at Geek-humour, a t-test is a statistical method for comparing two means. Wikipedia explains it here... 
PPS I wanted to write this post because even when I am stressed about being broke I realise that it is my choice (and only mine) to do a PhD and I am lucky to be doing it... no... really...






PPPS Em posted this comic...                        t Distribution

No comments:

Post a Comment