Friday 9 May 2014

City of Gold, red and orange...

I grew up in one of the most dangerous cities in the country (well in the top 50, it doesn't make all the lists, but it has a bit of a reputation). However, when we were growing up, we played in badminton in the streets, and made houses of the crisp autumn leaves at the corner of our road (I guess just floor plans - leaves don't make great walls). I walked home from school, crisscrossing the road to stamp through the biggest leaf piles or planning my journey to include as many mulberries and those tart pink berries (not sure what they are called) as possible, always choosing to walk on the side of the jasmine bushes. 





A summer-time photo from the Westcliff
(incidentally, a FABULOUS spot for high tea)
We played in the streets, rode bicycles or walked everywhere and my friends lived close by. You might argue that it was the suburbs and doesn't really reflect Johannesburg as a whole (JHB is huge and diverse) but it was my Johannesburg and I loved it, and still do. I was very pleased to have a sneaky visit up there last week. It is the change of season, and the mornings are clear and crisp, tinged with frost, the days sunny and warm and the leaves are falling to form piles of crunchy leaves perfect for stomping in (I refrained, but I was tempted). 









This is my sister's photo, taken in Rosebank. 
It might not be the city for everyone, but it, like every where has aspects of loveliness. In addition, for me it is full of happy memories and sunshine. I came back to Cape Town feeling (a little sad to say goodbye to my fantastic JHB family and friends but) refreshed and happy. Sometimes, a little bit of time away, a change of scenery, a different group of people, is just the thing to give you a little extra energy and enthusiasm to face the same tedious tasks you still have to get done and survive the current cold front










Another of my sister or brother-in-law's pictures,
when I see this view, I know I am close to
(one of my) homes. 
I just want to be clear, the fact that I love JHB (and Ramsgate) doesn't mean I love Cape Town any less. I think one of the ways to be really happy, is to be happy wherever you are, there is beauty every where, amazing people to meet and the potential for happiness everywhere! 












Another view from Westcliff looking over JHB
When I got back from JHB on Wednesday morning, I went straight to vote before acting as a "greeter" for the political party I volunteer with. This basically just involved being a smiley face in front of the voting station. Obviously there are people that just can't be bothered to give a stranger a head tilt, others will open up with stories that can warm the heart. South Africa - the whole of the large, diverse, controversial, beautiful South Africa, is an amazing and wonderful place. There has been good and bad in the last 20 years but I am proud to call it all home.

(Even if there are people that are willing to vote EFF

No comments:

Post a Comment