Tuesday 8 December 2015

Do they know it's Christmas Time at all?

Yes. I know that BandAid made lots of money that all went to good causes (well I presume that part) which is great  and that PARTS of Africa are still impoverished and desperate but Africa is huge. But, I, for one, am very aware it is Christmas time (and thrilled that it is not snowing!) (I have mixed feelings about the lyrics but not the intentions of that song)

I think anyone that knows me knows that I love Christmas! I genuinely think that people seem happier at this time of year - or maybe I am just happier and project that on my surroundings. I love the cheesy decorations and the cheesy music. I love finding gifts that I hope my family will like and I LOVE that I get to see them all soon. I also love Love Actually and The Holiday and the fact that December means I get to watch them (my own rule - but an important one). I also love that it is Summer. 







It is definitely a time of year that should inspire people to do "the right thing" and I am sure it is (statistically, even) a time of year that has an increase in charitable giving, volunteering and general "do-good-ing". I mean, even I went to help paint a children's hospital this month (actually maybe the end of last month - time also goes so quickly at this time of year). So I think it is an excellent time of year for the COP21 to be happening. I hope that it will inspire the World leaders to look beyond economies and elections and make decisions that will benefit everyone. 






Meanwhile, it isn't just about them, this is something we should all be thinking about ALL the time. And we should face the fact that it isn't easy. I love my car, I do, I love driving, I love the freedom of being able to pop off somewhere. While I was at UCT I took the free Jammie Shuttle and could feel a little smug occasionally but now I drive to work everyday. I also drive to the Common to go for a walk. These are the sorts of things that we should think about changing (although there are always excuses: no public transport routes on my way to work, and I am really walking an awesome dog who lives near the Common). 





These photos were taken in KZN in November - they were
super festive animals. I added the festive fence in -
but just want you to know - they weren't behind fences.
We should think about whether we need to eat something that was flown in from the other side of the world and weigh up the benefits between sustainable from Portugal, ethical from Kenya or locally made products. I don't have the answers, but I do think we need to be asking the questions. I know that my non-conservationist friends probably find me a little tiresome, and my conservationist friends find me a little slack, but we should be setting personal challenges for ourselves and pushing ourselves further. In 2013 I gave up pork and have stuck to that despite the fact that bacon is delicious. Years before that I cut down my meat eating drastically and continue to decrease it. I promise you, it isn't that hard (even though steak is yummy). Think about what you can do (you don't have to tell anyone or shout it from the roof tops to encourage others to do likewise). These are just examples - what are you doing?






If you want a more informed weigh-in on the COP then read the various expert reports (e.g. this one by Conservation International) or the news (e.g. BBC) or official website media reports (here). I am not an expert. I am just an optimist. I am expecting big things out of this meeting. 


P.S. Yes, I know I posted 4 pictures that say Merry Christmas... but I REALLY REALLY wish you a Merry Christmas
  

No comments:

Post a Comment