Monday 15 December 2014

UCTutionalised


This Friday was our departmental end of year party. I imagine it will be my last departmental party at UCT, certainly with the faces that I've come to know so well. 


December 2003 Grad



I couldn't help remembering my first departmental end of year party, 10 years ago. As honours students, we were finally invited to the grown up table, but still unsure about ourselves and our place in the department, we clung together like limpets. That particular year we had karaoke and our class (in those days, honours class was small, I think there were 11 of us) huddled around the two mikes and sang "Hotel California" to the cheesy karaoke music video... Warm fuzzy memories of one of the best years of my life spent with some of my favourite people.










The end of year party also happened to be at the tennis club, which is where I had my 21st many years ago. My indulgent parents spoiled me as always, and it was a magical, emotional event. I actually had my 21st more than 2 months before I turned 21 so it would be before everyone disappeared to new lives, after we graduated. I guess this is a recurring theme in academia, you are expected to graduate and move on, which means graduation itself is somewhat bitter-sweet. (I am THRILLED that I am graduating this year though - I am so over trying to not feel bitter at this time of the year when all the smartly dressed graduates flock to campus with their proud parents!)






If a random person were to ask me how long I've been at UCT I'd mumble "100yrs" to avoid having to explain that it took longer than it should have, but you all know that already. So I can tell you that I started at UCT as a 17yr wide-eyed terrified kid in 2001 and I haven't left since. And, despite the fact that I was terrified when my parents dropped me off outside that revolting Tugwell building, being at UCT has been one of the greatest privileges of my life. 



I've said it before, but I love UCT. I love the ivy that changes the colour of the walls through the seasons, I love that the air vents are UCT crests. I love the view from upper campus and I love my office.










I have such huge respect and love for the people within the department. Getting a high 5 from George Branch is literally more exciting to me than speaking to the lead singer of a band I enjoy (Beatenberg - SA band, they're good, and in my only groupie-esque moment in my life EVER (other than following Brothers Streep and various Marvel movie actors on FB) I told them they were awesome after a concert this week.) I guess going from being a shy, never-talk-up-in class girl in undergrad to actually being able to sit and chat to these brilliant people in a casual social environment is something I'll always appreciate...







So this year's end of year function is bitter-sweet for me. I know a new stage of my life is upon me, and I'm sure it'll be exciting, challenging and with a new set of lovely people for me to respect and care about, but not getting to go to another end of year party with all those familiar faces is without a doubt something I'll miss... As much as I'll miss tea time and my gorgeous office and my lovely UCT friends. 

1 comment: