Friday 8 November 2013

diligence fail

So, today is Friday, which is blog day... but I find myself feeling distinctly overwhelmed and exhausted. I have had lots of thoughts about what to put in the blog this week, during the week, but they have all run away from my head now. (I, at least, partially blame a Swedish couch surfer I am hosting who is 24 and has all the energy of the Duracell Bunny - ah to be young and travelling the world). So even while I am writing this I am wondering if I should just leave it for today and write again next week but then I thought actually whether it is writing a blog, or a PhD, we all have the days that I am having today and maybe there are ways to make the most of them.

Firstly, right now, I am feeling a little bit hungry, chances are my blood sugar is low so I am struggling to concentrate. This is no way to work! In theory, I should go get some food, and I will, I just want to finish this first... WAIT! Have you felt like that? Go get food, you will finish what you are trying to do much faster and probably with more enthusiasm and intelligence.

Find a beautiful space
If it truly is a day when you are unlikely to do anything, acknowledge it. Instead of sitting in front of the computer and just getting frustrated with yourself and the fact that no one has put anything interesting on Facebook since the last time you checked (two minutes ago), walk away! Go to the beach (or park), eat ice cream (this is my friend Emily's strategy for when she is feeling blue or uninspired - I love this advice but can't really bring myself to follow it). Hopefully, you will sit down the next day feeling refreshed and inspired (or, at the very least, guilty - which can do wonders for productivity).

Above my screen:
random smiley face of unknown origin,
magnificent penguin from a friend
bat from the top of last year's department
Christmas cake - I love his quirky grin.
(Please excuse picture quality)
If the overwhelmed-ness makes you want to crawl in a ball under you desk... a feeling I can completely relate to, check PhD Comics (I love these comics, I love to know that there are people out there going through the same thing as me - sometimes exactly - and it is OK to laugh ironically at yourself) or Thesis whisperer (I haven't looked at this much but, again, +Emily McGregor recommends it) or read the news and be grateful you live in an ivory cocoon.

The important thing is to breath, smile (force yourself but if you can't go speak to a cheerful friend or make sure you have smiley gadgets on your desk), hold on tight to your towel and Don't Panic (I LOVE Douglas Adams).

Terrible photo but you get the point?


I actually have a black pseudo-leather arm band thingy that I wear on days like this because my beautiful friend +Roxi Dodkins gave it to me so that makes me smile, but also because it has all these cheesy inspirational words written on it in silver that I find oddly uplifting maybe you just need to find your mojo-charm.

No comments:

Post a Comment